This is a great ten minute video with Rob Goffee and Gareth Jones relating the research that went into their fantastic book, Why Should Anyone Be Led By You.
Questions to ask yourself:
- What does it mean to be a community builder as a leader?
- Are you authentic? Do you take your real self to work? Authentic leaders know themselves and “show” themselves — they aren’t perfect — and they genuinely want the best for their followers and the organization.
- Do you appreciate your followers’ contribution? Are you a source of significance for your followers?
- Are you a source of energy, edge, and passion — genuine excitement — for your team?
- Who decides? (not you! Your followers decide)
Reflection: I love the connection between this 4th question about excitement and the question that Bob Sutton shared that Rob Cross asks: “After you talk to this person, do you have more or less energy?” I aspire to be the kind of person that gives people more energy. How about you? Positive. Inspired. Energized. Let’s serve up some pie!